- All products are added to your cart.
Abanico Becal Cero - Fan
Our Becal Fans feature the work of two different artisans from the State of Campeche in southeast Mexico.
First, Federico - who lives in the small town of Escárcega - hand cuts the wood and with the help of a lathe, he perfects the shape of the fan holder.
Secondly, Milagro de Atocha - from Becal - is in charge of the weaving process. She collects the Jipi-Japa palm fibres and gives them a special treatment for them to be the right colour and texture to begin the weaving process. All the weaving has to be done in underground caves, since they provide the perfect humidity for the flexibility of the fibres. It takes Milagro about six hours to weave one single fan.
- Made of local raw materials:
- Fiber "Jipijapa".
- Wood "Teca" - Teak.
- Total: length 31 cm, width 23 cm.
- Diameter wooden circle: approximately 14 cm.
- Every fan has a small loop with tassel in fiber attached to to the handle so you can hang it on a wall, door, ...
- Handcrafted in Mexico.
- Each piece is handmade. Therefore slight variations in shape, colour and size may occur. This makes every piece a unique example of craftsmanship.
- Keep your fan in optimal shape with good care: clean with a slightly damp cloth. Let dry by itself.